Calhoun County was created on Feb. 20, 1854 by an act of the General Assembly. Calhoun County was created from Baker and Early counties. Georgia's 112th county was named for South Carolina U.S. Sen. John C. Calhoun (1782-1850), a noted advocate of states' rights. Calhoun County's first courthouse was built in Morgan shortly after the county was created in 1854. That structure burned in 1888, and a new courthouse was built on the site -- but it too burned in 1920. What served as courthouse for the next 15 years is not clear, but the county's present courthouse was constructed in 1935. The courthouse was renovated 1972.
Click on the image below for an interactive road map.