THOMASVILLE

 

Since 1826, Thomasville has served as the Thomas County seat. The city remembers General Jett Thomas, a War of 1812 hero who built both the first University of Georgia building and the state capitol in Milledgeville. At the turn of the 20th century, Thomasville invited wealthy northern families to its winter resort. In fact, non-residents still maintain many large estates and hunting preserves. Many of the estates are listed on the National Register of Historic Places, including the Susina Plantation Inn and the Lapham-Patterson House. Today, Thomasville, nicknamed "The City of Roses", is known for its annual Rose Festival. The city is the home of the "Big Oak", which has a limb spread of 175 feet, and is over 300 years old.

 

Click on the image below for an interactive road map.

Southwest Georgia

Regional Commission

 

181 East Broad Street

Camilla, GA, 31730

 

(229)522-3552

(229)522-3558 fax

 

jhamilton@swgrc.org

www.swgrc.org

Print Print | Sitemap
© Southwest Georgia Regional Commission