With the coming of the railroad in 1870, Sumner,
Poulan, and Ty Ty were the stations along the road in the county at first. Sumner was located on land belonging to John C. Sumner, (Jack) the father of the present sheriff of Worth
County, John N. Sumner, and it was named for him. The families of Joseph M. Sumner, George W. Sumner, Daniel S. Sumner, William Garrett, Derrell H. Herrington, Bluford
Pittman, L. S. Thompson and Isaac Rooks lived on nearby farms and many members of these families moved into the village. Immediately, almost as if by magic, streets were
laid off, trees planted that still beautify and furnish shade and comfort to the people, sawmills, turpentine stills, mercantile establishments, post office, doctors' "shops", schools, and two
churches were built.