George W. Meigs, the namesake of the community in the northwest corner of Thomas County, first settled in the area around 1875, setting up a turpentine still near a popular crossing for the Savannah, Florida, and Western Railroad. While he maintained a residence in Pelham, Meigs soon built a residence near his still; by the late 1870s, living in his turpentine camp with his employees, the rudimentary elements of a functional town came in to being. By 1882, a post office was awarded to the location, and the settlement became known as Meigs. In 1889, the settlement of Meigs was awarded a governing charter by the State Assembly, in a bill sponsored by Thomasville-based Assemblyman A.T. MacIntyre.
Click on the image below for an interactive road map.
Annexation and Deannexation Reporting << Click Here >>
181 East Broad Street
Camilla, GA, 31730